Thursday 1 January 2009

Two excellent pieces of software

After some very negative remarks on this blog in the past concerning the quality of assorted software products (http://www.theitsanctuary.com/blogs/213-mandy-shaw-logicalis), it's only fair to compliment two products I have just started to use:
  • Nvu (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvu) - an excellent HTML editor (easy switch between WYSIWYG, source edit and preview modes) with a tiny footprint and instantaneous launch time, and a similar enough interface to the various Rational/WebSphere IDEs I have used to allow almost immediate productivity. This one is freeware. My only complaint is that it tends to assume it knows better than me (frequently rightly) and to correct my HTML without asking.
  • Pocket Controller-Pro (see http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=PCPro). This allows you to show your Windows Mobile smartphone display on your PC, real time, and to drive the smartphone from your PC mouse and keyboard. It uses ActiveSync as the transport, so works over Bluetooth. I find it an essential time saver to be able to type text messages on my PC keyboard (this also helps present a professional image). In the past I have used Vodafone's Text Centre (Outlook plugin) and Nokia PC Suite for this, but I really think PC-Pro is the best. It does cost £25ish though. (The Microsoft-provided ActiveSync Remote Display, which does the same thing, doesn't support my Samsung Omnia smartphone.)

I thought I would have problems in these two areas now that I am deprived of Logicalis-provided software, but absolutely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment