- Marketing, contacts, etc.
- Chargeable activity
- Skills building
Progress so far in some of these areas:
Marketing, contacts, etc. - I've already posted about my website. I've also spent a lot of time building my LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/mandyshaw) and LinkedIn network (currently 187 connections), and I've also been answering questions on LinkedIn, hopefully to get my name into the public eye. I intend to sign up as the basic level of IBM Business Partner (waiting on my VAT registration coming through), and am already discussing a couple of other vendor relationships.
Premises - Still working on this one.
Technology - I've talked about some of this. Here's a summary.
PC - Thinkpad T43 running:
- XP SP3
- MS Office 2003 Standard Edition
- ActiveSync and SOTI PCPro (for smartphone integration)
- Pidgin (for instant messaging)
- AVG 8.0 Internet Security
- SharpReader, Windows Media Player and Audacity (for podcasts and music)
- Sente SenLab02 (for label printing)
- PrimoPDF and SVGMaker (for output manipulation)
- Microsoft Photo Editor (for image manipulation)
- Apache Tomcat, Nvu, MySQL, Sun JDK 6, GnuWin32 SED, Ant, CoreFTP, ActivePerl and AWStats (all for website processing)
- Google Desktop
Smartphone - Samsung Omnia (T-Mobile, with unlimited internet connectivity)
ADSL - Zen (I have been a customer since 2002)
Domain iperimeter.co.uk with hosted web space and email - Zen
Instant messaging and social networks - MSN Messenger, AOL AIM, IBM external Sametime, LinkedIn, Facebook, Plaxo, Blogger
Wikis - PBwiki
Website design done by me. Website content entered via Nvu and Excel. Website generated using Tomcat, MySQL, Ant and assorted scripting techniques, and uploaded using CoreFTP
Corporate/legal/commercial - I have had to do the following so far: register iPerimeter Ltd as a limited company (I used companiesmadesimple.com); set up business bank account; obtain public liability insurance; register for corporation tax and VAT (I have signed up with a local accountant).